‘All groups of pupils make outstanding progress due to the very well planned curriculum focusing on the needs of each child’ Ofsted, 2013.
The details below are intended to give you an overview of the curriculum at Headley Park. We provide more details in termly topic maps which are developed for each year and shared with parent/carers. Topic maps are also published on the latest news section of the website. Class teachers keep parent/carers up to date with delivery of the curriculum through their SeeSaw class blogs.
Prospective parent/carers wishing to know more about our curriculum can contact the Head Teacher, Miriam Fredrickson, email@example.com.
The Headley Park Curriculum is designed to:
- Inspire Learning – to develop successful learners.
- Celebrate Achievement – to develop confident individuals
- Strengthen Community – to develop responsible citizens
Our curriculum is structured to develop key skills that are needed in order to become successful learners.
There are six main strands of the curriculum designed to develop understanding of:
- English & Communication
- Well being
- Science & Technology (including ICT)
- Changes in our World
For each strand there is a team of people responsible for promoting and develop the skills, first hand experience and progression of each set of subject specific skills across the school. Please see curriculum policy in Key Information.
Every strand will include:
- Importance statement-outlining why the strand is important in children’s development and how the combined subjects compliment and build upon each other.
- Key ideas-Identifying the understanding the children need to develop throughout their time at school.
- Skills-Stating what skills children need to learn and practise in order to be successful.
- Range & Content-Identifying the contexts within which the key skills will be practised and developed.
- Opportunities-Real experiences that are essential to children’s development.
As well as these curriculum strands there are also the Headley Park skills.
These are a range of essential skills that we believe are vital in allowing the children of Headley Park to become creative lifelong learners.
These are the skills that develop a child’s ability to do or show:
We believe that these skills are the backbone for achieving our shared vision of Inspiring Learning, Celebrating achievement and Strengthening Community
These skills will be promoted across the whole school over two year cycles to enable progression and the children will be encouraged to self assess themselves in each skill in order to promote personalised learning and allow them to recognise what sort of successful learner they are.