Headley Park Primary School
School Uniform Policy and Guidance for Parents
The Staff and Governors at Headley Park want pupils to show they belong to the School by wearing a uniform which is smart but as low cost as possible. As a result we have chosen items that can be bought from local supermarkets and it is not essential that clothing includes the school logo, although we do like the children to have at least one sweatshirt or cardigan with the logo on if possible for when they are representing the school.
Headley Park’s principal colour is red.
- Red jumpers / Sweatshirts / Cardigans
- Red or White Polo Shirts / White Shirt or Blouse (In warm weather when pupils don’t wear jumpers, we prefer red polo shirts)
- Black or Grey Trousers / Skirts / Shorts / pinafore dress (NOT leggings)
- Red & White Gingham Dresses
- All children should wear proper sensible black schoolshoes, not coloured trainers and no logos, lights or heels. Shoes should not be open toed or flip-flops
- Tights can be grey or red. Socks should be grey, black or white.
Children in Reception do a lot of their learning outside so they need the appropriate outdoor wear for the weather – wellies (in a string bag), warm waterproof coat, hat/scarf, sun hat. In hot weather they should have sun cream applied before the come to school.
Pupils must have the following sports kit so that they can take part in physical education and sports:
- Plain Black Joggers or Shorts. No logos or stripes or tight leggings please.
- Your child’s House colour (Green, Orange, Purple, Red, White or Yellow) T-Shirt (not polo shirt). All colours are readily available from local supermarkets or online.
- Red hoody
- Plain Black Trainers, without logos or colour or visible white soles, to be used in School.
In Reception, children change for PE in school. This is because dressing independently is part of one of the Early Learning Goals. However, they will not need kits until term 3 (January) – they will just take off their shoes and socks Sept-Dec. It is best for girls to wear trousers on PE days.
From Year 1, they can come to school wearing their kit on PE days. If their trainers are not entirely black, they can wear their school shoes and change into them for the PE lesson.
Please make sure they can fasten their own shoes quickly – laces tend to be problematic for very young children, even if they are starting to learn to tie them. Please opt for Velcro or slip on shoes if possible.
Children start swimming lessons in Year 3. Swimming kit is as follows:
- One piece swimming costume for girls
- Trunks (not shorts) for boys
- They can also have googles and/or swim hats if they want to but these are not compulsory.
Uniform with the Headley Park logos is available via the school website from either Mapac or Tesco Uniform service.
In Nursery and Reception, it is helpful if you pack a spare pair of pants, tights/socks and trousers in your child’s PE bag just in case of accidents or getting wet on rainy days.
We follow the Bristol Health and Safety Guidance which states that children should not wear jewellery to school. The only exception is very small stud earrings (no hoops).
There are no rules about hairstyles allowed provided long hair (both girls and boys) is tied back for PE.
Any hair bands, braids or clips should be in neutral colours or red.
There should be no extreme hair styling or hair dye unless specifically allowed on special fundraising or dressing up days.
Head scarves for religious reasons are allowed in black only.
Nail Varnish and make up is not allowed. .